- The 32 teams taking part in the final competition will be divided into eight groups of four teams.
- The league format shall be used: each team playing one match against each of the other teams in the same group, with three points for a win, one point for a draw and none for a defeat.
- The ranking of each team in each group shall be determined as follows:
- greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
- goal difference in all group matches;
- greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.
- If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:
- greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
- goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
- greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
- drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.
- The teams finishing first and second in each group shall qualify for the round of sixteen.
- The last two matches in each group shall have simultaneous kick-off times on the same day.